Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Digital Audio Extravaganza

I don't often just hand out links to other stuff but today I stumbled on such a smorgasbord or digital audio goodness over on r/audioengineering that I just had to share it. Digital audio and sampling theory is deep stuff. What's more is that there's a lot of hogwash floating around out there on top of all that deep, dark theory. The link below brings you not one but three great opportunities to learn and discern what's for real and what's marketing.

Start out with the article on wired. The video takes about 30 minutes and it's one of the best I've seen for getting up to speed on the subject. 
Then there's more reading if you click through. The article debunking some high sample rate mythology is a little hard to find so here it is.

Then if you're not quite reeling from all the input, there's another super archive of info on not just digital audio but all digital media with further links to even more information!

That should keep you busy for a little while Brethren of the Knob and Fader. But if not, then let me take it just one step further and recommend my favorite book on the subject. I read "Principles of Digital Audio" when I was in college in the mid-nineties. It was the text for a studio class that the prof didn't actually expect us to read. But I did and it changed my life. Again it's pretty deep. Getting through some of those chapters on error correction and time code were a chore. The first few chapters alone are worth the price of admission alone and the new edition brings a lot more to the table as there have been some pretty big advances recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're the Scotty to our Kirk