Friday, January 25, 2013

Soundcraft Aims to Change the Game

I'm not usually one to go all ga-ga come NAMM time but every once in a while there's something to get excited about. This time around it's Soundcraft taking aim at the budget digital console market with the new Si Expression desks. 

I'll admit that I've been strongly curious about Behringer's offering, the X32. I've been wanting a compact digital mixer for a while now and the Presonus just wasn't doing it although I'm always happy to mix on one, especially in the theatre. Desks like the A&H GLD and Soundcraft Si Compact were very interesting but out of reach for many small PA companies. Most of us small fry can't even dream about the Midas Pro2.

So now that Uli Behringer so graciously opened the door with what is quite honestly shaping up to be a pretty good option, I'm glad I didn't jump right on board as an early adopter. Now that my favorite maker of digi desks is out of the gates with one that I can afford to take on bar gigs and do community theatre with I'm pretty excited. Prices aren't out yet but it's definitely an X32 killer from initial reports.

I won't bore you with the details Brethren of the Knob and Fader. For myself, FaderGlow, BSS, dbx, Lexicon, and other goodies inside trump Midas-esque mic pres. The Behringer might not ever become rider approved but I think these just might. Check out the link below and draw your own conclusions.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's not officially out but I've heard it's to be about 60% less than the equivalent Si Compact model.

      Delete

You're the Scotty to our Kirk