Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Luciar - Feeling A Little Emo - (Review)

Happy New Year! I have a little more music for you. You may remember the interview post I did with an old college friend Luciar. It's worth a read as she independently confirms a lot of the ideas we talk about here. Shortly after that interview she was finishing up her current album and asked me to take a listen to it.

(Before I get too far there is some language so keep that in mind if you were thinking of listening at work or with the kids around.)

I'd encourage you do click over there and have a listen yourself (then buy it!). It's probably sort of like something but it's not really like anything I've ever heard. It's sort of part girl singer/songwriter stuff, part NIN fan,  part show tunes. The last bit was what really got me. As I progressed from song to song I got the feeling like I was sitting in a theatre watching different acts come on. They're all part of the same show but each was unique. Before I was done listening I had a whole cast, vivid imagery in my mind, including set pieces.

Something she said in the interview particularly stuck with me. It was about the way she'll listen to something she's working on and be thinking about the frequencies she's hearing and the emotions and then deciding if a spot should be filled in or left blank. I think that method did a great job as the album is full of texture and space. Some songs feel like they're coming right off a stage in a tiny theatre, some feel like a street cafe in an old European city. Some are sweet and embracing and some turn edgy and threatening.

I could go on and on but I'll encourage you to just get over there and take a listen for yourself. A couple passes through would be a good education for both the aspiring engineer and songwriter. Check it out on your speakers and then hear it again in the headphones so you can get a load of all the tasty little details that are tucked away around the edges of every track.

The album is available on iTunes and Amazon so don't be stingy. You can't hear every track on the website. Fork over a couple bucks and get this stuff on your iPod. Listen well Brethren of the Knob and Fader, and learn what you can do with just your wits and a few simple tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're the Scotty to our Kirk