Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sometimes, you need some help

I know this is a little off topic from what our blog usually is. But, I feel that this is something that I should at least say, so that it's out there. 

A couple of days ago I found out that someone I used to work with in music, and day job setting had overdosed, and died. He was a great guy, always gave good advice, was always there if you needed him to be. I had lost touch with him over the last couple years. I moved, jobs changed, just general life type stuff happened. 

He had battled with hard drugs for awhile. As long as I've known him actually, he was almost always into something. He went to N.A. and completed the program, and was doing well, from what I had heard. 

Then a few things got the best of him, and he got back into what had gotten him in trouble before. That's really all I know. I haven't been able to get into contact with anyone who was too close to him, to find out any specifics. Just what I found on Facebook. 

What I want to put out there is that, no matter how much you think you're in control, and can take care of yourself, sometimes you just can't. Bad situations can arise, and you're left essentially helpless.

I've had my own struggles with this as well. I was addicted to cocaine, opiates, prescription pills, and was a boarder line alcoholic, by the time I was 18, and lived that life for awhile. I'm truly surprised that I was never committed anywhere. 

But, there is help out there. A.A. and N.A. and other support groups are around, and have been around for a long time for a reason. Sometimes you just need someone to talk to, to straighten you out, or to make sure you're staying clean. In this line of work, it seems that there's just a constant over flow of booze, drugs, and anything else you can imagine. It's hard to keep yourself clean sometimes, trust me. After parties were the worst offender for me in particular. When it comes down to it, it's just not worth losing your life over. It may not seem like it, at the time, but there's always a way out. And, there can always be a brighter road ahead, if you're willing to look for it. I got my act together, got a real job, got married, and have a nice place to live in now. I couldn't of done that by myself, no matter how strong I thought I was. Jon and my wife are the two main reasons I'm still alive today. They helped me out, called me out when they needed to, and I've been clean for over 4 years now. 

I apologize if this strikes anyone the wrong way, I'm certainly not trying to talk down to, or condemn anyone, because I know that never makes any situation better, it only makes it worse. But please, at least try and give yourself a fighting chance. I promise now, that, we'll get back to some audio nerd speak, and I'll try and stay a little more on topic from now on.

Thanks

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that.
    I'm glad that you got your life "on track" and I hope you can serve as an example to people who find themselves in desperate situations. Sad that it didn't help your old friend.

    ReplyDelete

You're the Scotty to our Kirk