Monday, September 3, 2012

The 1%

Relax, this isn't a political post. It's about the name we gave to our philosophy at the church were I work. It has to do with being happy with the work that you're doing but not being satisfied that it's the best you can do.

Every week we take a minute at our production meeting to go over the last services and see what we liked and if there were any little loose threads hanging off. We're always after that next little thing we could do to make things better. It's not that we don't feel a sense of pride or accomplishment in what we've done, just that we're not going to allow ourselves to hit a point where it's "good enough" and just relax.

It's a great environment to work in. My progress as an engineer has slowed at different times over the years because I got so I could handle everything that was thrown at me for a typical gig. It would take something that stretched me to get me moving again and thinking about new ways of doing things. Mixing at a church might not sound like the most exciting job, but not everyone can say they mix for a couple thousand people every weekend. It doesn't hurt that my boss likes to try new things and push us in new directions.

This brings me back to my old philosophy. Try to find a way to say yes. I frequently tell people my brow isn't knitted because I don't want to do something, it's because I'm thinking of a way to do it. There's another saying in production that I like to pull out once in a while, "Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes longer."

I hope you don't find yourself stuck in a rut and that the stuff you're working on is pushing you to keep learning and growing. If it's not, then it's up to you to go after new knowledge and ideas. It can be tough when you're just starting out and it seems like you can't get any experience until you have any, but you have to do the best you can with reading and experimenting on your own time. Knowledge is knowledge whether you learned it on a gig or read it on the web or in a manual. 

So keep moving Brethren of the Knob and Fader. Keep learning. Keep pushing for that last one percent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're the Scotty to our Kirk