Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hungry?

OK, it's been a lot of philosophy lately and I promise we'll get back to some more technical stuff soon.  But there's one more thing I want to cover before I pass on the fruits of the summer festival season and all the tricks we picked up this year.

A lot of people come up to you when you're a sound guy and ask how they can get into the business. My usual reply is, "Help me load the truck". Very few take me up on it and very few of them ever come back. The simple fact is, it's a huge task to learn everything you need to know and to acquire the experience you need. It's sort of a catch 22 that you can't get work till you have experience. So that means you have to do a lot of stuff for nothing.

The people in this business who have made it big will tell you just how much they did for free (or very little) just to get the experience. Just hitting the twenty year mark myself, I still go out and help people just for the experience. And that's something that we all have in common. I don't think you'll find a single person in this industry who's really good that wouldn't keep doing what they're doing for nothing if they suddenly hit the lottery. 

Someone once said that if you're passionate about what you're doing, you're going to be a busy person. That's one reason I don't set out to try and teach too much to people who come up asking questions. If they're really interested they'll get it out of me, just like I did when I was getting started out. I've been thirsty for knowledge and a chance to sharpen my skills since I played with my first tape recorder and it's only gotten more intense the longer I live. 
 
I dream about gigs and sometimes even solve problems while I'm asleep. I'll work three events in a day. One to keep a regular client happy, one to help out a friend and one just to see something new and different. That's the kind of enthusiasm it takes. I don't say any of this to make myself sound cool. Ask my friends. They'll be the guys recording something while they're thinking about recording something else and wishing they were recording something else all together. They're the guys practicing while they're planning while they're writing while they're dreaming about practicing.

They're hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're the Scotty to our Kirk