Thursday, May 3, 2012

Keeping It Fun

If you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.

That's the old axiom and it's as true as can be. I meet a lot of my peers in the business and wonder why they ever got into it. Some people are just truly miserable. It doesn't seem to matter if they're good or bad at the job, they're miserable. There are a lot who are like me though, and love what they do and it shows in their work. We talked on Podcast #3 about how the personalities of the members of a crew can matter just as much as their technical prowess. I built my business on being a good sound tech and mixer, but I built it equally by being easy to get along with.

And that's because even if I'm doing something awful, I try to make it fun. For me that's setting my mind on coming up with puns or verbally changing the paradigm I'm working in. I wound up at a festival after a full day of day job, a full night of driving, and not enough food or coffee to find out that I couldn't set up a stage until a tent went up. That meant an hour of driving stakes in a parking lot. Immediately my mind jumped to Homer Simpson, "Mmmmmmmmm, staaaaaaaaaaaaake, aaaaaaaaaah." and a few chuckles resulted. A quick twist of wit shifted the mood and the crew got on a little better.

I guess it's a short post today. Just an encouragement to look on the brighter side. You'll find a lot more people on your side if you take the point of view that nothing is impossible, it just takes longer. And if you're working in the audio game but aren't happy about it, why are you doing it? Make a change. Look for a job in a better venue, start your own studio. Or if you're just not able to do that, then try and work on something you do like to do when you can find a little time. If you're stuck recording pop songs all day but have a deep love for Scandinavian thrash, look up some bands and offer to record them off hours. You get the idea. But keep your chin up and you'll make the industry a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're the Scotty to our Kirk