Sunday, March 11, 2012

Compression on Subgroups

I've written before about inserting dynamic processing on subgroups but I'm about to write about it again. This is a pretty lazy post in that I'm just going to link to THAT POST and also THIS ARTICLE over at ProSoundWeb that does a pretty good job of summing up just exactly what subgroups are for and how to get the best use out of them.

If you've got a console with subs on it and you're not using them then you're wasting a lot of very useful capacity.  Take a little time to get to know them and find a way to put them into service a little at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.  Maybe start with a drum or vocal group and once you understand it try patching in compression.  You'll never go back.

1 comment:

  1. When I'm mixing monitors from FOH, I prefer using subgroup inserts for my vocal compression so that vocals aren't compressed in the monitor.

    ReplyDelete

You're the Scotty to our Kirk