Sunday, February 26, 2012

Guest Post: Evan - Jr Sound Guy

If you'd like to contribute to the page just drop me a line, write an article, ask a question, share a link, almost anything.
 

This was written by Evan, a volunteer at the church I work at and coincidentally the "kid" mentioned in  this post.  He's got his marshmallow in a lot of different camp fires but lately I've had the chance to make a few smores with him around the pro audio one.  With no further delay, here's Evan.

I made the best decision of my life when I was three.  I was a short blond kid with blue eyes and happened to wander into the sound booth of the chapel at my church.  I was instantly hooked.  I would ask about the knobs and lights.  I'd push buttons and get the reward of loud feedback.  It was a great beginning.   I would always hang out around the sound guys throughout my child hood into my tween years.  I finally got a shot at doing some stuff by turning light switches on and off for the children's ministry and moved up to the little 8 channel Mackie.  I finally worked in the chapel and am now in charge of media for the children's ministry at age 15 because of my habit of wandering.
    I'm still learning so much.  Over the years I've learned what's been necessary to learning and aspiring to become a sound guy.  The first thing i learned is to never say that you know it all.  There is so much to learn about mixing and rigging.  You need to keep your mind open and your heart into it.  It can be so much fun or a huge pain in the ass but it's all worth it in the end.  I've also found that friends are the best sources for moving along in your journey.  I've met and befriended so many people that are well equipped in the sound engineering world.  They can be knowledgeable in many different areas so I try not to just get all my information from one person.  I even follow them around and help them out to just learn and see what they do.  There is so much to say about wanting to become a great sound engineer but everyone has their own way of doing it. 

Again, it's always important to keep your thoughts open to new ideas and not stick with one plan.  Sometimes you need to experiment and just flat out set stuff on fire.  That's how i learned how not to set up amps.  You apparently never just use a solid piece of steel for a blown fuse because the fuse was blown for a reason.  I would have never known if I didn't experiment.  All in all just ask people what they do and keep an open mind about different ideas.  Experiment with your knowledge and feel free to ask and wonder.  It doesn't do you any good if you're stuck and are stubborn and think you can do something on your own, that causes more explosions and even death.  Don't be afraid to ask.  My final though is that sound guys like their bass loud and everyone else just to stuff it.

Well said young jedi, well said.

1 comment:

  1. An amp's not an amp unless it can arc weld. - Joe Tall

    ReplyDelete

You're the Scotty to our Kirk